Baklavas are delicious layers of spicy nuts and crisp filo pasty coated in a sweet honey syrup.
- 1 Line a greased 20.5 x 28cm (8 x 11") Swiss roll tin with 4 layers of buttered filo pastry.
- 2 Combine 125g (5oz) of brown sugar with the nuts and Cinnamon. Sprinkle half the mixture over the pastry and cover with a further 4 sheets of buttered filo pastry. Sprinkle over the remaining sugar and nut mixture. Cover with the remaining 4 sheets of buttered filo pastry.
- 3 Trim the edges, score into rectangles and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- 4 Place the remaining sugar in a saucepan with the honey, Cinnamon Stick and Cloves. Add 150ml (¼ pint) water, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the spices and pour over the warm Baklavas.
- 5 Allow to cool before cutting into pieces. Serve warm or cold, with cream if desired.
- 6 Pre-heat the oven to 190°C, 375°F, Gas Mark 5.