- 1 Grease and line a 900g (2 lb) loaf tin. Pre-heat the oven to 150°C, 300°F, Gas Mark 2.
- 2 Melt the butter with the golden syrup and brown sugar in a saucepan. Beat the eggs and milk together.
- 3 Sift the flour, Ginger, Mixed Spice and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and pour in the butter and sugar and the egg mixture. Beat well until a smooth batter is formed.
- 4 Pour into the tin and bake for 1½ - 2 hours until well risen and golden.
- 5 Best kept for a week before eating.